Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Dreams

One of the easiest ways for me to tell if I liked a book (besides the obvious gut reaction) is how quickly I'm able to come up with a post for that book.

It took me a very long time to come up with anything for Jacqueline Woodson's brown girl dreaming.  Now don't get ahead of yourself, this is an excellent book, it was even a national book award winner; however it's poetry which, as you know, is not my favorite thing.

brown girl dreaming is an autobiography of sorts, it is Woodson's story, her life, told in verse.  She has such a unique perspective growing up in South Carolina and Brooklyn, NY during the 60's and 70's.  The most compelling part, for me, was Woodson's struggles in school.  Writing and reading were difficult for her.  To make it even worse her sister is basically a genius, excelling at all areas of school.  Woodson's teachers are excited to see the same name and then she must face their disappointment when they realize she is nothing like her sister.

That is until she finds poems.  Poems are her release.  So it is only fitting that she narrates her own life story in free verse.

I think it was hard for me to write this post because I didn't love this book and I couldn't think of anyone to recommend it to.  Free verse can be beautiful but it can also be difficult to comprehend, especially if you struggle with reading.  The only thing I could think to do is take excerpts and use them to supplement our reading of Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry.  I'm hoping some of the Reading Olympics crew will be able to share their perspective on this book.  Maybe it struck a chord with some of them.

Finding your voice...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment