Monday, June 1, 2015

Love Numbers

I've always had a thing for numbers-not for math-but for numbers.  For example my alarm is always set for the same time forwards and backwards, meaning if I have to get up at 7 my alarm is set for 6:56.   I love to look at relationships between numbers-March 5, 2015 was a good day because March is 3 and three times five equals 15 so the date is even.  Because of that I was immediately intrigued by Holly Goldberg Sloan's Counting by Seven's. 
Willow also loves numbers, especially the number 7.  She counts by sevens to help herself calm down.  She also loves gardening, learning languages and is highly gifted.  Besides all that she doesn't hesitate to speak her mind and her quirky turn of phrase is a delight to read.  For example instead of just saying she ate a chocolate dipped ice cream cone she said: 
"As the chocolate cools, it holds the vanilla goodness prisoner.  Our job is to set it free." 
The book is filled with amazing quotable's like that.  I wanted to do a whole post of just quotes but then I thought that would give too much away.  

I started this book after school one day and did not put it down until I had finished it.  It's an amazing story.  Each of the main characters has their own type of weirdness (for more on the types of weirdness see pages 43-44) but they all work together to create an incredible dynamic.  This book made me wish I had these kind of people in my life.  I wanted Willow's support group.  Sure they have quirks (in the best possible way), but they work to understand each other-true understanding not just surface level things.  

I cannot recommend this book enough.  Good choice Reading Olympic's committee.  A must read.  

Understanding...that's kids stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment