Friday, October 28, 2011

Call in Sick

I chose to read the girls Philip Stead's A Sick Day for Amos McGee, illustrated by Erin Stead, because they were, well, sick. They loved it but I think I loved it even more.  The illustrations are best described as pencil sketches with an occasional pop and they are simply charming.  I immediately feel in love with every character portrayed in these illustrations and I felt like I knew a little something about them and their personality just based on the way they were sketched.

Not only are the pictures delightful but the story itself has firmly implanted itself into my heart-it's that lovable.  Amos McGee works at the zoo but he always makes time to do something special with each of the animals before the day begins.  But one day Amos is sick and can't go to work.  You have to check out this book to see how all of the animals respond.

Eva was delighted with the story.  We finished the book and chatted about it for a bit before she says, "yeah, it was good but it wasn't real. There's no way that could happen." She then points out all of the impossible things that happen in the book.  When she finishes that she sighs and says, "I wish it could though, I wish that happened when I was sick."  The only response I could come up with was, "me too."  I think we all wish these fantastical things could happen.  It's why kids play pretend so much, because we wish for a world filled with wonder.

My experience with this book didn't stop with the read aloud.  I have several large-scale writing projects this semester (which explains the sporadic posting) and I am working this book into each one.  From this book I could easily create vocabulary lessons, discussions, writing projects, the list goes on and on. The teacher in me loves books like this.  Even if you're not a teacher you should still read this book because it is guaranteed to make you smile.

Making the most of your sick days...that's kids stuff.


PS The author illustrator team for this book are a husband and wife.  They dedicated the book to each other-how cute is that.

No comments:

Post a Comment